Saturday, July 24, 2010

Project Information from the Birdbrain

My colleague at school plans to work on author studies and webquests with her students, and she thoughtfully gave me a list of proposed authors before school was out. I didn't want to select an author whom a student might choose, but I wanted to work with an interesting, well-respected, living author who intrigued me. I chose Ellen Hopkins, author of many children's nonfiction books as well as several edgy contemporary novels for mature young adults.

There are several places within the LA High School TEKS that one could justify an author study, and I would need to be guided by the teacher and work with him/her on just which TEKS our project would include. One I am thinking about is 110.C (5):

Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Fiction. Students understand, make inferences and draw conclusions about the structure and elements of fiction and provide evidence from text to support their understanding.

Students are expected to:(B) analyze the moral dilemmas and quandaries presented in works of fiction as revealed by the underlying motivations and behaviors of the characters.

The outcome of the analysis could be to (15) (D) produce a multimedia presentation (e.g., documentary, class newspaper, docudrama, infomercial, visual or textual parodies, theatrical production) with graphics, images, and sound that appeals to a specific audience and synthesizes information from multiple points of view.

I believe that students given the opportunity to create a multimedia presentation as a culminating activity and as a showcase for their research will find the project much more palatable than a text-only product. Using technology to research and to create new information also makes that information accessible to a wider audience.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me laugh, think and wish for chocolate. I look forward to seeing your project rise from the non-sequential process. That previous post made me think if I really followed the steps and I don't think my brain really followed the neatly outlined steps. I posted it that way but it was really a drop in a bucket with waves radiating out from the first idea.

    I think I will now look up the Chocolate Angel on google or dogpile or one of those other search engines we are suppose to try instead of google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog was not accessible in the usual way for quite some time. It appears that Vaughn has it fixed now, but the links I had made were not hot in the revised edition. I am trying to fix that now. In the meantime, please go to www.chocolateangel.com and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete